Thursday, January 22, 2015

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Here is our "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" unit! This one was so much fun! Ember would tap her lap along during the book every time we read it in and fill in words and make the sounds with me. Just a really fun book for us! 

We read the book every day


We watched a YouTube video narrating the book and listened to our bear hunt song

We practiced drawing along the line (very difficult for Ember... something to work on)


Watched some other movies with bears



Read some other books with bears in them



Made a paper bear bag puppet


Practiced identifying numbers 1-10 in order to find the bear



Used props to make the sounds of the book


Grass - Broom sweeping
Water - Shaking the little water bottle
Mud - shaking a can of green chilies
Forest - banging the drum to "stumble and trip"
Snowstorm - blew into the open glass bottle
Cave - hit the drum softly for "tiptoe"



Practiced "over," "under," and "through" using a toy bear and a tunnel among other things.


Made bear shaped pancakes (I will spare you the picture,,, it is pretty bad. We made paleo chocolate pancakes and they tasted amazing but just didn't quite look as good as a wheat filled pancake... haha)

Made a collage of all the things they went through on their hunt!


Grass - practiced cutting green paper
River - coloring in the lines with a crayon
Mud - painting
Snowstorm - pulling cotton balls apart and gluing them on
Forest - glued on pine tree branches
Cave - 2 googly eyes

Bear Hunt Obstacle Course/Reenactment - this one was a definite hit! 

Grass




River


Mud


Forest


Snowstorm


Cave with the bear


Hiding in the bed back at the house


Used a file folder to move a marker around the folder as the story progressed


Bear Hunt Sensory Bin




Again, I really enjoyed this unit! And Ember (and Emmerson) definitely did too! Next is "Runaway Bunny."




3 comments:

  1. Oh this is SOOOOO fun!!! So many great ideas!!! I can't wait to use some of these for the boys when we do this book! :) Loved all the activities Ember could do WHILE reading the book! Way to keep them engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun unit!!! (I feel like I say that everytime! haha) The joy and excitement on Ember's face is just so present that I couldn't help but smile right along with her! I loved the obstacle course! And I see Ember got to learn about sharing and let Emmerson try it out first! :) Way to go! Love how you used her bed as the ending to hide in! Make sense...but I don't know if I would have thought to make the course around it! Great job mama! :) Looking forward to the next unit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. o.M.g! Stop!!! This unit looks like SO MUCH FUN! I am stoked to do this with Jace soon. And I'll be taking these ideas again. Who needs Pinterest ideas when I can just come here? It looks like Ember really loved it! Great job!!! Very impressed! I wish I was your kid the week you did this. ;)

    ReplyDelete